|Autres langues||French | Deutsch | Italiano | Suomi|
Medienkompetenz is a german word.
This term is close to the term media-literacy. In fact the term Medienkompetenz is wider than the term media-literacy.
Medienkompetenz is a term "invented" in the 1970's and the guru of this term is Dieter Baacke: https://lmgtfy.com/?q=Dieter+Baacke
Medienkompetenz consists of 4 dimensions where media-literacy is one dimension.
The 4 dimensions are:
- Media Criticism
- Existing knowledge about media should always be reflected and expanded. For example, to analyze the media landscape you need the background knowledge that private TV programs are broadly subsidized which impacts on the content message of that programme. Only with the necessary background knowledge can problematic media developments be considered critically and differentiated. Everyone should be able to relate their knowledge to themselves and to critically reflect their own (media) actions. The analysis of the media developments, and the reflexive back-reference to one's own actions, can ultimately also decide whether they are socially responsible. Thus media criticism also has an ethical dimension.
- Media Literacy
- This is the knowledge of today's media and media systems. At an informative level this is classical knowledge about structural things, for example, the broadcasting system, the journalistic way of working, or the possibility of using a computer and software for personal purposes. In addition, there are also instrumental-qualification skills, which are necessary to be able to operate new devices.
- Media Use
- This dimension is the user or recipient competence of each human individual in dealing with media. In this sense, television is an active operation (not a passive operation), which must be competently designed (for example active video production). The second under-dimension of media use is the area of challenging offerings,and interactive action. Today, there are numerous possibilities for action (online banking, production of podcasts and smartphone films, etc.)with which you interact actively in the media world.
- Media Design (also in the sense of the re-mix idea/concept)
- Media' as an abstract and very wide term is constantly changing - it is very dynamic - and everyone is free to contribute new content, a new shape. Everyone can innovatively develop the media system. Anyone who competently deals with media can also help shape media on a creative level and design "new" media. He / she introduces themself with aesthetic variants and thus exceeds the limits of existing communication routines.
So we use the term Medienkompetenz in a correct and appropriate manner when all dimensions are represented. We say a person is fully medienkompetent when that person is able to move on a stable fundamental inside the media system.